advanced or NVQ??

When i went for my 'Advanced', there was 4 categories available (2000), there was 'Advanced course' 10 days, being taught. Then 'Advanced course with NVQ 3 providing portfolio' (10 days). Assessed route of Entry (ASRE) being given the drawings, and assessed on completion. (5 days) plus test paper. And finally ASRE with the NVQ 3 (providing portfolio).

A lot of the lads there, (No disrespect). Wanted in and out ASAP with the pass. By all means i am not 'Mother Teressa' but i went for the 'Whole hog' ASRE with NVQ 3, and the portfolio bullsh1t, as the cost was the same for any of the aforementioned disciplines, it was a right chow for the 'Portfolio' however, i am glad now i took that route.

I have a letter from the CITB Construction Skills stating that if your card says NVQ on it then it means that the holder started scaffolding training after 1996 when it became a mandatory requirement.
Therefore we can assume that the NVQ holders are relatively new to the game with 14 years behind them apart from the ones who had been in the game for years but hadnt got a card.

Non NVQ advanced/Men NVQ advanced/Boys that one day may become a Man and good at reading drawings.

Allen i am not a moron. I have been scaffolding 35 years the last five years as a instructor at NCC south trying to teach the young lads the game. I think its called giving some think back. I have no reason to hide iam to big to hide.

Sorry all members, for my quote,bit fun that got out of hand.

give a bit info about yourself then . where you from , who you worked for .you will get a lot more respect on here if you were more open . and another thing the only thing any scaffolding instructor learnt me was that scaffolders are bigger bitches than women .by the way could you tell me the percentage of people failing your cousres . and do you agree that the only way you can be a scaffolder is if you have money for crap course .if you only give me one straight answer make it this one . are scaffold courses actually pass and fail or just pay up and pass . i already know the answer i just want to see if your big enough to admit it

i need a risk assessment for me handbag to carry me steps in and me staff for staffing off the floor! lol!

i def agree that scaffs are bigger bitches than women - im the fastest, im the neatest im the best! ha ha!

i know of an advanced scaffolder who failed his advanced course and just stayed on at the training centre the next two weeks so he passed in the end!

Started scaffolding with sgb kings cross. worked for trad/d and r rotor scaffolding all around london. my pass rate is about 90%. I owe it to all the hard working scaffolders and the industry to be honest. As i stated before i am to big to hide.

worked with sgb kingsx 90-91 on the docklands project instructor good bunch of lads well run outfit then.

Non NVQ advanced/Men NVQ advanced/Boys that one day may become a Man and good at reading drawings.

started 1987 18 year old.
part 1 1990 (didnt get off the ground till then)unless to put toppers on for the 2 owld tw@ts i worked with. company paid.
part 2 1992. company paid.
adv nvq 2002 paid for myself.
all man with quite a few t shirts to prove it.
also agree its only a piece of plastic and you can tell who is descent after 10 minutes, i only done mine for more money and saw it is what contractors wanted, giving you more chance to stay in work and also fancied a spell offshore.
been a supevisor and manager for the last six year and have seen some superscaffs and some not so superscaffs, nvq and none nvq, part 2 and adv,
lets not us argue who is best (because we can tell after 10 mins) and leave that to the clients who thinks its the be all and end all.
P.S i can read a drawing upside down:D

I have a letter from the CITB Construction Skills stating that if your card says NVQ on it then it means that the holder started scaffolding training after 1996 when it became a mandatory requirement.
Therefore we can assume that the NVQ holders are relatively new to the game with 14 years behind them apart from the ones who had been in the game for years but hadnt got a card.

Hi hswt, I think it must be more to do when you finished training, I started in 88 I think (it was a while ago) but because I had to pay for every bit of training I never did my advanced till the late 90's so I have the svq. I was working for years including offshore with a basic ticket with no assessment but they made me do it on my own when I went back to do my advanced. Rigblast didn't recognise any of these tickets at that time although bizaarly you still had to have one and you were pulled in to do an even more meaningless trade test.

Hi hswt, I think it must be more to do when you finished training, I started in 88 I think (it was a while ago) but because I had to pay for every bit of training I never did my advanced till the late 90's so I have the svq. I was working for years including offshore with a basic ticket with no assessment but they made me do it on my own when I went back to do my advanced. Rigblast didn't recognise any of these tickets at that time although bizaarly you still had to have one and you were pulled in to do an even more meaningless trade test.

Hi aom
Just quoting from the letter which states " NVQ Level 3 qualification is a mandatory requirement for people wishing to receive an Advanced Scaffolding Card who began their training after 1 September 1996"
Letter is signed by Peter Castle and cc to a David Mosley CISRS

Agree with you Bomber mate did my advanced in 1991 and couldnt give 2 f---s it dosent say anything about nvq

Top Bottom