Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Double arms

Thanks

Default Double arms

Hello, having used most type's of scaffolding systems (haki layer etc.) I have never used double arms. I just wondered if there is a sysem of baseing out with them as I dont want to look a complete numpty on my first day if they use them. I know the procedure from the base upwards it's just I have never actually based out with them.

If there is a website or anything just to give me a heads up it would be much appreciated. Geez 10 years on the spanner I actually feel a bit of a dipstick lol.

Cheers

Thanks

Is it double enders your talking about? Some people call them crabs aswell i think. Basically its a tranny with fittings attached to each end which fix onto the internal and external set of standards and the ledgers just slide in afterwards. These have a strange measurement, so when you put your boards on for e.g 5, there will be a 3 inch extra gap for the toe board to fit in with still a small gap showing which is stupid in my opinion.

Depending on the foundation will depend how you kick it off. If its a really flat surface e.g a pavement etc. then you just turn the double enders upside down. Personally i never put a kicker lift in. I just put the 1st lift in wear needed, if its no more than around 5ft. Then 2m lifts upwards.

When adding lifts, i usualy use a marking lat because its really fast and alot easier. All i do is get a 2m bit of anything and go down the inside standards resting the bottom of the lat on the bolt on the lift you are stood on and marking the standard at the top of the lat. Do this all the way down the independent. Then get your double enders, and put the bolt of one end on the mark you made then rap it up and level it across to the other standard and rap that. Do this all the way along and then you can just fire in the ledgers and transoms. Really fast way of working.

Just hope they are new because once the have seen a bit of weather they seize up really bad, and most of the time half the pack are buggerd lol. Hope i could help you with this.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dj_Grega For This Useful Post:

digsie (15th June 2011), SF Admin (15th April 2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, very helpful i was going to use the lat method. It was just the baseing out i was concened abut. I have used them to go round bay windows etc and used the turning them upside down method. Is it easier on a continus run to put a kicker in with running a ledger on doubles on your inside standards getting your inside legs set up correctly then putting the double arms in on every standard then your outside legs then just run your outside ledger in. If that makes sense lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lambert36 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, very helpful i was going to use the lat method. It was just the baseing out i was concened abut. I have used them to go round bay windows etc and used the turning them upside down method. Is it easier on a continus run to put a kicker in with running a ledger on doubles on your inside standards getting your inside legs set up correctly then putting the double arms in on every standard then your outside legs then just run your outside ledger in. If that makes sense lol
    Had to read it a few times there to sink in lol.
    Erm,, Once uve got your 1st 20ft in or however long, then jus sleeve your ledgers off with the next 20ft and put the end standards in and measure that off the working face, (basically making your next box). Then just work backwards putting in the middle standards lifting the sag out of it. The double enders just hook on over the ledger, so they are easy enough to position depending on your standard spacing whatever that may be.

Thanks

Lol thought you might have to read it a few times. When you put the next 20 ft of ledger in what baffles me is how to attach the double arm onto the ledger and standard at the same time as the ledge is wafting about and the standard is free standing if u get me.

Think ill change my username on this forum after this discussion lol

Thanks

Smile

just put 2 temperary tubes against the wall and run a ledger on singles at the height of your first lift ensuring you stand your inside standards up before doing this. then attach your double arm to the ledger put in your standard and away you go easy as that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lambert36 View Post
    Lol thought you might have to read it a few times. When you put the next 20 ft of ledger in what baffles me is how to attach the double arm onto the ledger and standard at the same time as the ledge is wafting about and the standard is free standing if u get me.

Think ill change my username on this forum after this discussion lol
    When i was saying put your next 20ft in. Once sleeved off go to the end of your 20 and put a double ender on, rap it up, then put your standard in it. The double enders hold both - Stand & Ledgers

Check this picture out, only 1 i could find but if you look carefully you can see where the standards and ledgers go http://www.darnallhire.com/products/29/index.html
    Last edited by Dj_Grega; 27th January 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Default units

good bit of advice there lad aint used bones in ages fast as fxxk just cant be to picky with them.

Thanks

I think the extra inch or 2 is for an inside toe board and abit of play, possibly for lashing the boards down.

There quite good to work with, saves alot of measuring.

You get what I know to be called walking sticks or hockey sticks which are transoms (fixed on only one ledger) that are long enough to fit an inside board.

I've heard off some scaffs that they don't need to be dog legged (braced) but I always used to just incase.
    Last edited by Gaz; 27th January 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks

Ready Lock- Double Arms- Bones Whatever you want to call them - been using them for years when I was on the tools and off, best bit of kit out there when you have a large T&F stock and dont want to invest in a system but want to increase your productivity.

Personally I used to base out my first bay use upside down ready lock with 8 ft ledger on the inside at ground level and then put a long un at 1st lift height to the inside and a 13 to the out to get your stagger (If on a long run of course). Then you just carry on at your first lift height with ready lock at your desired centres.

When it comes to returns a lot of lads drop the corner standard on a double, that closes the toeboard gap and makes the standard out of line with the ones in ready lock so you have a bend in the handrail which I personally used to find untidy, I used to put a ready lock on the corner to pick up the standard and ledgers (Single or pair of legs, your choice) maintaining the gap etc.

P.S. As a rule we have never put in ledger bracing when using them unless its a design job.
    I'm not a complete idiot....There are still bits missing!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast