Thread: Umberella Wage Companies - NASC Board Members Involved in a massive scale.

Thanks

Default Umberella Wage Companies - NASC Board Members Involved in a massive scale.

Well I thought I would share some industry news for a change.

This Morning I have had a very interesting business meeting. I met up with a very big player in the construction industry in regards of paying manpower through a umbrella company (sorry but I wont mention names but there is a river in USA where tom hanks landed a plane into it on one of his movies).

I must admit, I was shocked to hear that 70% of labour in London is now paid through these types of schemes. I asked why? The response I received was not what I expected. I am not quite sure which way to take this as either positive or negative. I think I am in shock.

Okay, let me explain further then you might see why I am very concerned. The person who I met is very well known around the capital and deals with lots of companies and is very successful running the umbrella company. We are not talking small amounts of people's wages here we are talking thousands of workers wages going through this company on a weekly basis where they charge £15 administration fee for processing the payments.
    I asked for some details of scaffolding companies who use them and I was quite dismayed at the amount of names he told me. I must stress the companies I was told was not only London and some a nationwide. What did concern me was the amount of confidential information which was passed out and if i was actually using this company I would be very worried. Anyway what I am about to say completely froze me in shock.
    "Currently **** London have 276 guys on their books. 187 of them are being paid through this umbrella company. What I suddenly realised was this companies MD is the next president elect of the NASC. To be a member you must have 90% of your workforce employed. I asked why this is happening. The reply i got was simple. "Its so they can hire and fire at a moments notice and the companies do not have to pay for this new CPD course they have to do".

How can this be. I know the company were originally started by the Krays but I did not realise its still being run in the same manor by seriously breaching the rules from which it is a major member of the organisation. Let alone the next president of the National Access and Industry Confederation.
    The AGM will be a very interesting evening on Nov 24th when I raise this question to the Owner himself who is a guest speaker as they announce the next new corrupt President of the NASC.

I must stress that there are other NASC members who are seriously doing the same. Its not only restricted to 1 company. In London alone there's quite a few who will not meet the 90% by far. I believe in fairness for all. What is the point of having codes of conduct and rules if everyone just laughs at it and then stipulate to others you must be do this and that etc. The reality is they cannot get their own house in order.
    This shows to me that the NASC and what it was originally set out for is seriously failing. Unfortunately there is no-one inside the company who has the leadership skills except (LR) who has the balls to sack them all and start again yes i really do mean them all inc (RJ). Its a serious sinking ship. Its time to man those life jackets and do your own thing without any confederations dictating what people can and cannot do.

Whats your thoughts on this and are you one of the scaffolder's being paid through this system and how are you treated. I would be really interested to read others views.
    Last edited by Victor Meldrew; 1 Week Ago at 02:48 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Victor Meldrew For This Useful Post:

derryscaff (6 Days Ago), g-scaff (1 Week Ago), happyhugenoet (6 Days Ago), john the manc (1 Week Ago), philliosmaximus (6 Days Ago), Stella Fella (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Tbh the one your referring to same name as that river in NY are probably one of the best ones, I've been though a load on different firms and some are shocking, but scaffold firms use them so their not physically tied to us, on paper we work for these umbrella companies the scaffold firms just hire us as labour, yeah some of the biggest firms in London use them and the biggest does aswell saying no names, I've worked for a few nasc firms who don't even offer PAYE just self employed,they get round it by saying that their employees are employed the rest are hired off these umbrella companies and that's how they pay them,I. Can't get enough men so we have to hire labour....shocking I know but its the truth of what happening here in London

Thanks

Interesting thread OP.
    Not sure about how this works but found your post an interesting read

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hem ping long View Post
    Tbh the one your referring to same name as that river in NY are probably one of the best ones, I've been though a load on different firms and some are shocking, but scaffold firms use them so their not physically tied to us, on paper we work for these umbrella companies the scaffold firms just hire us as labour, yeah some of the biggest firms in London use them and the biggest does aswell saying no names, I've worked for a few nasc firms who don't even offer PAYE just self employed,they get round it by saying that their employees are employed the rest are hired off these umbrella companies and that's how they pay them,I. Can't get enough men so we have to hire labour....shocking I know but its the truth of what happening here in London
    Thank you for your honest response. The simple fact of this matter is that us NASC members as part of their criteria state we MUST not use outside labour and on our demographic ratio we must employ 90% as direct labour and can only have 10% sub contract or agency labour. I fully understand that sourcing quality Employed Labour these days is very difficult. Saying that we also have to operate under certain criteria set out by the NASC. If we are found to be in breech of this requirement we can immediately loose our membership.
    How many companies have previously applied for membership to the NASC and failed the desktop audit based on this requirement or have lost there membership status for failure to comply. The criteria is set in stone, it is there for a reason. Abide by it or loose it. The whole concept was originally to ensure NASC have correctly trained labour workforce and to protect workers rights. This is seriously being abused and needs immediate attention with immediate unannounced spot check audits against these NASC companies who are not complying. Saying that the thought process of how this should be effectively managed and should not be carried out by the NASC but a complete independent 3rd party who is completely transparent and open with their findings.
    The next issue raised would be who is paying for this? We this is quite simple. The NASC should be footing the bill for failing to enforce / police their own polices. However if each company fails to meet the requirement then the companies should be forced to pay for the audit fee if they are successful then the NASC picks up the bill. We need the industry to be more open with our business matters.
    I for one would immediately vote for this practice to be enforced as an active current NASC member. I get sick to the back teeth of people saying "your in the big boys club and do not want others to become members." the reality is if you meet the criteria everyone should be allowed. The rules are there so EVERYONE should abide them.

Thanks

Victor, last year the NASC asked the members present at a meeting in SE London to consider a proposal to accept a 2nd tier membership.
    This was met with the contempt it deserved.
    Very interested in your post, had no idea that this was happening amongst the elite club..