How it was back then (1 Viewer)

Jack Brian

Reaction score
For the old `uns like me click on this link or copy paste to go back in time and see how we did it. Health & Safety????...........something of the future. Nice shots of "GB" Scafflers. one of my old company's, Band & Plate/DH. Many times now I wish I could go back, good workmates, four records on the café jukebox for a bob (5p) In the pub dinnertime (shiver now) at the thought, breakfast 1/6d = (7-8 pence) Still have my stainless steel Podger from back in the 60's

https://www.facebook.com/flashbak/videos/658174241058334/

Great video and great memories, never to be repeated sadly.
I've just renewed my Adv card at the age of 63 and although I need a job, I am somewhat apprehensive in going back after some years doing other things - harnesses, H&S at every turn, design for anything and just about everything that we used to design as the job progressed, blah, blah, blah.
Thanks Jack.

Even before my time that. I remember scaffs not working in the rain, now every silly sod does it. I remember all scaffs having a few pints at dinner, now its unheard of. I remember having only a spanner in a home made leather frog, now everything is bought. Your eyes were your spirit level and skull was your hard hat. The site agent was always a made up time-served tradesman with years of experiance on the tools and not fresh out of college. Large sites were consisted of A site agent, a GF, tradesmen, gangers and labourers, now there are more in the office than on the tools. Some things have changed for the better, some havent.

sounds mental john the manc, cant imagine not having a bead surely the jobs where hanging all over the place?only so much your eye can do?

Even before my time that. I remember scaffs not working in the rain, now every silly sod does it. I remember all scaffs having a few pints at dinner, now its unheard of. I remember having only a spanner in a home made leather frog, now everything is bought. Your eyes were your spirit level and skull was your hard hat. The site agent was always a made up time-served tradesman with years of experiance on the tools and not fresh out of college. Large sites were consisted of A site agent, a GF, tradesmen, gangers and labourers, now there are more in the office than on the tools. Some things have changed for the better, some havent.

On the large site personnel side you didn't mention the now extinct 'Clerk of Works'. Though I never actually saw one just an empty office bearing his title on the door.

sounds mental john the manc, cant imagine not having a bead surely the jobs where hanging all over the place?only so much your eye can do?

Yes spirit levels were there, specially the good old 'Rabone red' that had a slow bubble and to me were better than a stabila ever was, but on the street, specially independents the chargehands were more into cutting corners and throwing jobs up, specially on price or target on new build sites. Crazy some of them were.

WOW, great video. I can only go back as far as single handrails and no harnesses.....they are the guys who used to throw fittings at me if I forgot a double on a run :)

bit before my time as well ,

used to be a 3 board wide run and no handrails and lift the 3 boards as you went, one spanner and a bubble and always a bit of chalk ( but no one ever had a tape )
its only over 20 years ago i was asked to monoflex a job for DR it was 18 lifts high with no boards or handrail we done the first lift and even that was hard,
phoned the supervisor and asked how the **** we where supposed to tie the old rubber and hook ties with no boards or handrails , his reply was just f****** get it done , so we jacked ,
passed the job a few weeks later and it was fully monoflexed by some poor f***** , i just hope he had his brown underpants on when he done it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
still dont need a tape, my spanner is same breadth as a board that tells me all i need to know

To John the Manc, every thing you state was just how it was. Cannot remember seeing a "Scaffler" with a bubble, just like you say a single frog for the Podger (GB) or Spanner. Working in Sub Stations/Pylon Cables etc. while the place still live, shimming down tubes with just a Band & Plate or Double at the bottom to stop you going to meet your maker while doing drop lifts and so on. We only ever used a single board. Still fond memories. Study this photo, takes some believing.Good Old Day's  .jpg

fair enough mate but im not trying to be funny, i very rarely use a tape and neither did the guy with 40 years experience that i learned from, too many new school scaffs have tape out at every opportunity does my head in but thats the game now i suppose.

Oh happy memories of sitting in the cabin on the cracker project at Pembroke in the late 70's/early 80's, when it was raining/drizzling, which was doing very often down there. I remember being there for 3 days on one occasion, playing cards, drinking tea, reading newspapers, drinking more tea, sleeping, drinking more tea and doing anything else that we could do to kill the boredom, with multiple trips to the loo to beak the monotony. I was even volunteering to go out and help erect rain protection for the Welders who were still working, just to keep my brain half sane, in the end !
A few pints at lunchtime was mandatory and I remember one longish term job that we were on in the centre of Cardiff, where the supervisor that we had was a stickler for not leaving site before 1 and being back by 1.30, yet we always managed 4 pints and a pie or pastie in the 20 minutes or so that we actually had in a bar, with the supervisor leading the beer fest !
We used to make our own frogs out of (allegedly),Elephant or Rhinoceros leather that one of the lads used to get a bit of occasionally. I'm not sure whether it originated from those two animals, but it was very thick and difficult to sew and rivet and was not from any cow that I had ever come across. Two spanners 7/16th and 1/2" and a separate one for a level if you had one, plus a nice thick belt, all of which you took to the pub with you at lunchtime and dumped in the corner. No one ever touched or pinched them, as they knew that they would get a good smacking if they did. Now days you would not even be allowed in with a belt and spanners like that, as they would be considered offensive weapons.
Although we never had helmets on civil sites, or for street work, we did have to at least take them out with us on the bigger industrial sites, but at Aberthaw we used to have one between the gang of three and two of the gang would hide if the HSE guy, Jim Dymond (of Scafftag fame), came around. He knew what was going on, but never got too upset when he did catch us without one on.
Happy memories !

Last edited:
Yes spirit levels were there, specially the good old 'Rabone red' that had a slow bubble and to me were better than a stabila ever was, but on the street, specially independents the chargehands were more into cutting corners and throwing jobs up, specially on price or target on new build sites. Crazy some of them were.

There is usually something close that you can eye the job in on, either vertically, or horizontally, but I do remember one of the 'super' gangs that worked for Palmers in the late 70's on the demolition of some of the older shops in The Hayes, Cardiff, to make way for the St David's 1 development. They were setting it all out and their labourer eyeing in all the standards for them, but he did it by lining them up with the lampposts in the street. They put up 3 lifts on a Sunday and we were sent there on the Monday to complete it. The job was all leaning out and away from the buildings, as the lampposts were tapering towards the top and the standards were following them !

Yep, every non boarded lift was erected off a one or two board wide working area and no temporary hand railing then.

On hangers, if you were lucky the dropper that you slid down had the double that you were going to erect off AND a check fitting, but I've been down a few that only had the fitting that you were going to erect off and nothing below it and when you are hanging a 100 or so foot above the next thing below you, with your one foot jammed against the bolt of that fitting and the other hanging below you in mid air and all the time gripping the dropper with one hand and trying to grab hold of the ledger being passed to you with the other, all the while swinging to and fro and all without a harness, one tended to sober up pretty quickly after arriving for work after 2-3 hours kip and a very boozy night the evening before.
A bit sweaty, but a great sense of achievement afterwards though !

Top Bottom