Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How it was back then

Thanks

Default How it was back then

For the old `uns like me click on this link or copy paste to go back in time and see how we did it. Health & Safety????...........something of the future. Nice shots of "GB" Scafflers. one of my old company's, Band & Plate/DH. Many times now I wish I could go back, good workmates, four records on the café jukebox for a bob (5p) In the pub dinnertime (shiver now) at the thought, breakfast 1/6d = (7-8 pence) Still have my stainless steel Podger from back in the 60's

https://www.facebook.com/flashbak/vi...8174241058334/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brian For This Useful Post:

Binthere (5th August 2017), jonnyoneye (3rd August 2017), philliosmaximus (11th August 2017)

Thanks

Great video and great memories, never to be repeated sadly.
    I've just renewed my Adv card at the age of 63 and although I need a job, I am somewhat apprehensive in going back after some years doing other things - harnesses, H&S at every turn, design for anything and just about everything that we used to design as the job progressed, blah, blah, blah.
    Thanks Jack.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyoneye For This Useful Post:

Jack Brian (3rd August 2017), Kevin Smith (8th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,149 Posts

Even before my time that. I remember scaffs not working in the rain, now every silly sod does it. I remember all scaffs having a few pints at dinner, now its unheard of. I remember having only a spanner in a home made leather frog, now everything is bought. Your eyes were your spirit level and skull was your hard hat. The site agent was always a made up time-served tradesman with years of experiance on the tools and not fresh out of college. Large sites were consisted of A site agent, a GF, tradesmen, gangers and labourers, now there are more in the office than on the tools. Some things have changed for the better, some havent.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to john the manc For This Useful Post:

downash (5th August 2017), happyhugenoet (28th August 2017), Jack Brian (17th August 2017), jonnyoneye (27th August 2017), philliosmaximus (11th August 2017)

Thanks

sounds mental john the manc, cant imagine not having a bead surely the jobs where hanging all over the place?only so much your eye can do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john the manc View Post
    Even before my time that. I remember scaffs not working in the rain, now every silly sod does it. I remember all scaffs having a few pints at dinner, now its unheard of. I remember having only a spanner in a home made leather frog, now everything is bought. Your eyes were your spirit level and skull was your hard hat. The site agent was always a made up time-served tradesman with years of experiance on the tools and not fresh out of college. Large sites were consisted of A site agent, a GF, tradesmen, gangers and labourers, now there are more in the office than on the tools. Some things have changed for the better, some havent.
    On the large site personnel side you didn't mention the now extinct 'Clerk of Works'. Though I never actually saw one just an empty office bearing his title on the door.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    sounds mental john the manc, cant imagine not having a bead surely the jobs where hanging all over the place?only so much your eye can do?
    Yes spirit levels were there, specially the good old 'Rabone red' that had a slow bubble and to me were better than a stabila ever was, but on the street, specially independents the chargehands were more into cutting corners and throwing jobs up, specially on price or target on new build sites. Crazy some of them were.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    On the large site personnel side you didn't mention the now extinct 'Clerk of Works'. Though I never actually saw one just an empty office bearing his title on the door.
    Thats why I didnt mention it. Hardly ever saw one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to john the manc For This Useful Post:

Binthere (8th August 2017)

Thanks

WOW, great video. I can only go back as far as single handrails and no harnesses.....they are the guys who used to throw fittings at me if I forgot a double on a run

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Smith For This Useful Post:

Jack Brian (26th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,062 Posts

bit before my time as well ,

used to be a 3 board wide run and no handrails and lift the 3 boards as you went, one spanner and a bubble and always a bit of chalk ( but no one ever had a tape )
    its only over 20 years ago i was asked to monoflex a job for DR it was 18 lifts high with no boards or handrail we done the first lift and even that was hard,
    phoned the supervisor and asked how the **** we where supposed to tie the old rubber and hook ties with no boards or handrails , his reply was just f****** get it done , so we jacked ,
    passed the job a few weeks later and it was fully monoflexed by some poor f***** , i just hope he had his brown underpants on when he done it
    Last edited by SF Admin; 14th August 2017 at 08:01 AM.
    #scafflivesmatter

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philliosmaximus For This Useful Post:

john the manc (12th August 2017), jonnyoneye (27th August 2017)

Thanks

still dont need a tape, my spanner is same breadth as a board that tells me all i need to know

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dominator For This Useful Post:

Jack Brian (26th August 2017), john the manc (17th August 2017), jonnyoneye (27th August 2017)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast