Europe BS/ EN12811 V TG20:30

outward bound

Reaction score
Here is food for thought, if we vote to come out of the EU then surely the legal document 12811 and other related documentation will not have the jurisdiction in the UK.

Has the information in the TG20:13 actually been formally tested and reasearched or just proven by engineering calculations? Assuming that the TG20:13 would still be used then could this be changed to a format like the BS5973 ? this is just food for thought since surely the documentation would not be applicable for us to follow if this happened.

cheers

OB

It's full title is BS.EN.12811. British standard is still in the name and will still be valid if we were to come out. I think people can sometimes forget that 12811 is the regulation under which every structure must be designed and TG:20 is just the guidance that allows us to follow an approved configuration without the need for additional calculations.

Hi IMK, the document was originally only EN12811 and then adopted under the BSI status I am only assuming that it was adopted going on our status in the EU, although the BS5973 did comply to the regulation's when it was used. The TG20 I believe was written to coincide with the legal requirements of the 12811, since there is little information/ going on nothing on tube ad fitting. I do admit that the TG20 is probably once of the best guidance notes written although I think the need for in depth calculation's based on simple scaffolds is a little bit too far. will the BS keep it or let the 12811 go

I believe that we would continue to use BS EN 12811 and TG20:13 until they were due for update/review, then we would make our own BS code of practice. Nothing would change from an engineering perspective as all of the structures in TG20:13 are calculated using engineering principles that are the same worldwide. As you say above, TG20:13 is a good document so no need to change straight away; that said, the NASC are currently asking for comments from members, with a view to reviewing/updating TG20:13 over the next couple of years. This is a standard review and nothing to do with the UK's EU status.

We may even get a wider loading bay in 2018, can't wait.

11281 relates to system
TG20 is for tube and fits only
totally separate documents but regularly confused by contractors,scaffold companies and certain training companies

11281 relates to system
totally separate documents but regularly confused by contractors,scaffold companies and certain training companies

12811 relates to tube and fitting

12810 relates to system

TG20 is lay mans terms in how to erect scaffolds to 12811

I think ha ha

British Standard and the Kite mark were the envy of Europe if not the world,and fingers crossed they will be again/tomorrow ;)

Whilst we may maintain the status quo for the moment (up to two years) some of the more questionable sections and requirements within the EU codes could be revisited and addressed prior to the next revision of TG20 due in two years, which could also be the foundation for a rewrite of BS5973 which whilst a bitch at the outset became a far more reasonable standard to work with that perhaps the current standards?

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

11281 relates to system

BS EN 12811-1:2003 is a European Standard that specifies performance requirements and methods of structural and general design for access and working scaffolds. Requirements given are for scaffold structures that rely on the adjacent structures for stability. In general, these requirements also apply to other types of working scaffolds.
BS EN 12810-2:2003
Facade scaffolds made of prefabricated components. Particular methods of structural design

TG20 is as previously stated the NASC layman's explanation to how to apply the afore mentioned to what we do.

Top Bottom