CSCS Question (1 Viewer)

StoneScaffoldingLtd

Reaction score
Renewed my touch screen today and one of the working at height questions was...........

Q. What is the maximum height a pole ladder can be between lifts?

A.1 5m
A.2 3m
A.3 No Maximum
A.4 9m

Be interested to see what you guys would have put for this!

2.0m is standard un designed lift height and the ladder should project 1 m past the platform so I'd go for 3m . 9m is how long a ladder can be without a rest, same on a tower crane that's why those crane drivers are so fat !

External ladders should not exceed a maximum of two lifts or 4.7mts, if your base is 2.7 max and a 2mt lift above that. All other ladders should be internal, again max of two lifts. Thats why all ladders are now 6mts, i havn't used a 9mt pole ladder in the last 10yrs or so.

in the CITB publication Health, Safety and environment test for managers and professionals 'GT 200/12, question 14.20 is, and I quote -

"when using ladders for access what is the maximum vertical distance between landings?"

A. 5m
B. there is no maximum
C. 9m
D. 30m

The answer being given is C. 9m

(10 mins later) - Just read the entire book again and cant find anything else relating to the subject.

Last edited:
There should be an extra answer to the question

E) The access should be risk assessed for the fat asthmatic brickie

in the CITB publication Health, Safety and environment test for managers and professionals 'GT 200/12, question 14.20 is, and I quote -

"when using ladders for access what is the maximum vertical distance between landings?"

A. 5m
B. there is no maximum
C. 9m
D. 30m

The answer being given is C. 9m

(10 mins later) - Just read the entire book again and cant find anything else relating to the subject.

Binthere that was the one thanks

From Sp's link - What is the maximum height a ladder can be used?

There is no maximum height for using a ladder. However, where a ladder rises 9 metres or more above its base, landing areas or rest platforms should be provided at suitable intervals.

I was correct with 9m but asked a few of the lads at work the same question and they gave varying answers!
Just wanted to see what you guys thought :)

every 6 bays between node points to the full height of the job

Wtf:laugh: lol u know wot marra i have trouble understanding your txts @ the best of times but this time i'm totally gobsmacked lolol:p

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

External ladders should not exceed a maximum of two lifts or 4.7mts, if your base is 2.7 max and a 2mt lift above that. All other ladders should be internal, again max of two lifts. Thats why all ladders are now 6mts, i havn't used a 9mt pole ladder in the last 10yrs or so.

Den thats the typical bullshiite baffles brains answer to give a saftey officer lol

10m ( as its the longest ladder i have :) )

That would be 9m no? Giving the 1m above the boards rule.

I would say 3m, seeing as your maximum lift height can only really be 2m - according to the extremely flexible totally lacking common sense never truly followed waste of time rules called: TG:20.

That would be 9m no? Giving the 1m above the boards rule.

I would say 3m, seeing as your maximum lift height can only really be 2m - according to the extremely flexible totally lacking common sense never truly followed waste of time rules called: TG:20.

Not really if you provide an alternative hand hold the ladder doesn't have to be above the boards

Scaffolder......Your maximum base height can be 2.7mt, say on the street then 2mt max above that..

Scaffolder......Your maximum base height can be 2.7mt, say on the street then 2mt max above that..

Thats right. But your first ladder lift wont be from ground level, where you need that high a clearance like ie: over a pavement.

You'll have a gantry, at x height, with more then likely a staircase leading upto welfare containers and such, then your independant would be built from there, no?

Even a house front or flats, theres hardly ever a fixed ladder from the ground to first lift, due to the possibilty of the public climbing the ladder.

No?

Top Bottom