Help with my nvq for my part 2 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hi all I am having some trouble with some of my questions for my NVQ, so was hoping some one could help :)

Q1. On a cantilever scaffold which point of the scaffold is known as fulcrum point?
Q2. Explain what the chords are in relation to prefabricated beams used for scaffolding?
Q3. When using prefabricated beams, which chord should be plan braced compression or tension?
Q4. How often are tie tubes required in the bottom chords of a pair of prefabricated scaffoldings beams?
Q5. Can ladder beams be fixed together and used as columns?
Q6. How can you improve the performance of prefabricated beams?
Q7. Is a single guardrail adequate protection for a scaffolder to work within, in relation to for protection?
Q8 what is the NASC code of practice covering fall protection for scaffolders working safely while erecting and dismantling scaffolding?
Q9. State what equipment is associated with fall arrest?
Q10. State the requirements that Anchorage points must fulfil?
Q11. How would you clean your harness?
Q12. States where procedures for rescuing a person from the floor while wearing a harness should be kept?

Thanks in Advanced

I am sure the lads on here will have no trouble answering these question for you?

Q4 tied tubes in the bottom of the beam are usually half of how many tie tubes in the top of the beam
Q2 if I think I'm correct the cord are wat would be the ledgers running on top an bottom off the beam if that makes sense =======
| | | | | | Beam cords top an bottom
=======
Q3 is tension I think bin a while any one quote me if I'm wrong
Q7 yes a single gaurd rail if erected in correct manor as in a safe means to get up to next lift
Q9 lanyard
Q10 the anchorage point must be securely fitted if ledger flexed at 2 points same as guardrail
Q11 in clean warm water

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote me if wrong on any

Q 8( SG 4:10) Don't wear a harness waste of time wont safe your life make you late for the pub.

nvq

Q3: compression the top chord of the beam is where the plan bracing is fixed to. tg20
Q11. brushed and hosed down is what i was told by my health and safety guy
Q6: to improve the performance of haki beams they need to be doubled up ( piggy backed). prefabricated beams sorry

Last edited:
once again a post that highlights the difference in training being dished out across britain. Im pretty sure most part 2's in scotland couldnt answer the first 6 questions.

and as a recent part 2 attendee , i can categorically state the answer to the first 6 questions is not found anywhere in the part 2 course

it seems in scotland we get cards for making up portfoilio's and getting them signed by anybody whereas in england people are actually being trained to a high level

im struggling to understand why these questions would be relevant for a part 2 , maybe someone in england can enlighten me on how the training works and the paperwork required for an NVQ in england , in scotland we give out SVQ'S for free.

Q6: give it to someone who gives a ****

Last edited:
If you are erecting these type of structure you should be able to describe how each of the part function to deem competence.

tension implies something is being stretched or strained whereas compression means to be squashed or compacted , reduced in size

why dont you put up all your questions and us scottish scaffs can learn something , we just bash up systems

I can do that with delight

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

But need my answers first for my nvq lol

Q 1: the fulcrum point is the point on a cantilevered structure where, if the critical tie was taken out at the same lift height as the cantilevered walkway, the scaffold would effectively spin on the doubles at the bottom of the cantilever tube and fail

noticed no-ones answered that one yet :) if im wrong please let me know, SCOTTISH SCAFF! ;)

Fulcrum point: The point of pivot nearest the outside edge of a suspension rig and about which the balancing moments of a suspension rig are calculated.

ive read the question , the answer and the definition of fulcrum point but personally i thought it would be the at the bottom of the tube that is taking the weight or holding the scaffold upright

always learning

Fulcrum point: The point of pivot nearest the outside edge of a suspension rig and about which the balancing moments of a suspension rig are calculated.

ive read the question , the answer and the definition of fulcrum point but personally i thought it would be the at the bottom of the tube that is taking the weight or holding the scaffold upright

always learning

much better said! but going down for part 1 in october and thats the kind of thing i need to be swotting up on, obviously not for the part 1 lol, but definitley for part 2 wouldnt mind having a crack at power station work for a while! :blink1:

Top Bottom