Question: Aberdeen transom? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

Why is it called after a place where nobody in Aberdeen knows what 1 is. Who has the patent on the name and story behind it?
If its been talked of before please paste the link?

Not sure how much truth is in this but I was always told it was because no one had really used them before going off shore from Aberdeen during the early years. No link or any other info but that was the chat from the older ones when I asked the question.

It stems from the rigs, all scaffolds built offshore were built with a load bearing fitting at each node point due to the hostile weather conditions. It's real name is a supplementary transom but because it was always used offshore in Aberdeen and at the time nowhere else the name Aberdeen came in.

Thanks Ian. Do ya know who was the first to call it by that name?

I would gamble it came from mills Dundee or SGB Glasgow as they were the first out there in the 70's, I was out there in the 80's and it was common terminology then.

well the aberdeens do come in handy when setting out a job it saves time with the olde tape but lets be honnest its just a make up at the end of the day

Make up, pre fab blah blah blah, what makes you think the good people of Aberdeen don't know what a pre fab is?

the only thing thats beter than a aberdeen make up is the aberdeen burger from burger king!!!! it says it on the adverts on tv!!!

Lol oh well I might av lost that pint then. I said after a long haired scaffolder from somewhere who had just been through Aberdeen. I had a vison ov the Angus. Pmsl.

Oh well that's just made me chuckle anyway.

If anybody does know any further tales in regards of the history please let me know.

Ye canny beat an Aberdeen Angus burger Dico.:love:

the aberdeen 5 boarder get a 5ft tube!! right here it goes!!! 5 boards at 9 inches = 50 inches cant do the 9 times table so i do it 10x tables take away 5 boards= 45 inches add 2 inches for bolt to bolt 47inches and you have the aberdeen 5 board version lmfao pub and forum dont mix who cares lol!!!

Last edited:
depends if you like a tight one or a slack one leeds lmfao!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

i prefered the olde days before the aberdeens when i was a cockee little runt with a set of spanners and first got to scaffold at a young age just like the youth of today!!!!! you built the scaffold and thought you were the dogs bollo!cks then you asked if you could borrow a saw to cut the boards in lol!!!!! praise the lord for the aberdeen lmfao!!!!

Last edited:
I believe it originated when singles first became popular. Up to then scaffolds had always been built with set therefore with a transom on a load bearing fitting by the node point. When offshore work started scaffolds had to be erected correctly using load bearing fittings. Once people who had stopped using load bearing fittings on transoms started going offshore they coined the term Aberdeen as this was one of the few places the transom on doubles was used. Scaffolds are still erected this way in Australia where transom is just used. Board supporting tubes are called putlogs even though they are not spade ends or go into brickwork.

We used to call it a "dummy Tranny" when i was a boy.
But like Simian says the name came from offshore where the choice was an Aberdeen or use Set on you main transoms.

Always trying to learn - so guys who have worked offshore please enlighten me...

Were ALL transoms fixed on doubles? If so - how did that work on boarded lifts? Were all transoms fixed to standards? How did boards sit flat?

Never been, designed anything or had anything to do with offshore stuff.

All the transoms offshore were fitted to the standard using doubles under the ledger, then tranny out as normal over the top using singles. I always just fitted the transoms underneath even on the non boarded lifts as the bay sizes were usually pretty small and it also made it easier if they changed their mind and wanted it boarding, others would put on top for non boarded.

Right this mite be the the way it came around in the early days offshore the Scaffold firms were Mills and Sgb they did not hire out any of there fittings and up till about 15 + years Sgb only stared to sell its Band in plate if you worked with Sgb every Transome on any job had to be fitted with band in plate singles were only for toe boards, same With Mills every set of standard with Mills 90s and hooks for intermediates and hooks for toes boards so then came Aberdeen Scaffold in the 1980s they only started out with Doubles and singles so they would put in under each nod point suplementary transome so this got the slang name aberdeen tranny to this day ???????

Top Bottom