Scaffolders union !!! (1 Viewer)

the wizard

Reaction score
picked up on a few threads from earlier on,a few of the troops were talking about a scaffs union,,,,personally i think it would be an inspired move ,,,,ive always been an active trade unionist,,,much to my cost ( ie blacklists etc ) Always paid my dues ,was pro-active in getting the youngblood to sign up for the union on bluebook sites...been a rocky few years ,been in and out of work,still paid full dues when i shouldnt have,,,,missed 1 payment....got back offshore again.... in dispute with a certain company,,,phoned full time official,,he put me on to Aberdeen office .was told that because i had missed 1 payment that i couldnt even speak 1 word with this guy that dealt with offshore companies...HUNG OUT TO DRY ,,,,,,,,,PLEASE BRING ON THE SCAFFS UNION !!!!!! we are just a piece of **** on everybodys shoes ,,being a service industry we,ve got so much power if we only stood together as a unit,,,F%*ck UNITE !!!!!

I don't really think much of the OILC to be honest not really done much for the contract lads offshore still allow the companies to drop lads to easy for my liking.
Anyone else got any thought on Mr J M and the OILC ????

there has barely been a good word said about any union on here lately, im not a union kinda guy, if the leaders didnt drive around in big expensive cars, getting a big fat pay packet while telling people to go on strike without pay , I would maybe consider it , but doubt they will ever jump into nissan micra or have feck all in their pockets , or actually sort something out thats important to its members instead of whats important to the leaders.

agree 100 % i got screwd with union bum wipes cuple a times. we provide a speciel service so we need to get organized and start callin the shots.

This as been going on for YEARS re scaffolders union

the thing is you need to get 100% of all scaffolders in the uk to join.

And that will not happen.

This as been going on for YEARS re scaffolders union

the thing is you need to get 100% of all scaffolders in the uk to join.

And that will not happen.
Agree Teeside this has been going on for years...far too many years. but this forum has,nt. 7,000 plus scaffolders on this site would seem to be a good springboard to to get this up and running,(taking into account the legendery scaffs grapevine ) i personally think it would grow arms and legs ,i talk to scaffs the length and breadth of Britain,,,never has moral been so low,,,even in the 80,s when things were bad at home you could go down to London and earn good readies,,,,but thats fecked too.and the ultimate kick in the balls being a crank coming on to a scaffs forum and advertising a job for £ 7 an hour,,,i ask you,,,,from little acorns grow mighty oaks.

i am a union man and have been for the whole of my working life,doesnt make them squeeky clean but they have fought my and many others corners very well.
i remember when the lindsay oil refinery carry on was at full steam although the trade union laws brought in by thatcher wont allow for the strike to be legal IE WILDCAT any member who was victimised for supporting the boys at L.O.R was reinstated i know of a guy who went out himself at shell st fergus,got the bullet and got reinstated A REAL WORKING CLASS HERO.WHY WAS HE REINSTATED BECAUSE HE HAD THE BACKING OF UNITE;)
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A SCAFFOLDERSD ONLY SECTION OF UNITE,JUST LIKE THE LAGGERS IN THE GMB, WERE LEVVYS FOR DECEASED MEMBERS FAMILYS ARE DEDUCTED AND COLLECTED ETC.
it will always come down to the individual though you will always have guys wanting on the bluebook jobs which are union agreements and never joining a unionTHE WORD PARASITE SPRINGS TO MIND:mad:

I have got to say that Unite have recently fought my corner satisfactorily, and a mechie who got the sack for standing on the bottom handrail to reach a bur, will hopefully get reinstated tomorrow the lads walked for two days a couple of weeks ago, if the lad that got powdered hadn't been a member he would have had no chance.

Unite also won 18 scaffs compen when Her*** finished us by using the Matrix rather than LIFO (last in first out) the result gave all the other scaff company's on the Nuclear site food for thought!!!

Unions aren't by no means perfect but they are the only thing that stops rouge company's shitting on the boys out of turn from a great height,

there has barely been a good word said about any union on here lately, im not a union kinda guy, if the leaders didnt drive around in big expensive cars, getting a big fat pay packet while telling people to go on strike without pay , I would maybe consider it , but doubt they will ever jump into nissan micra or have feck all in their pockets , or actually sort something out thats important to its members instead of whats important to the leaders.

Good post. All true. No arguing with that mate.

I have got to say that Unite have recently fought my corner satisfactorily, and a mechie who got the sack for standing on the bottom handrail to reach a bur, will hopefully get reinstated tomorrow the lads walked for two days a couple of weeks ago, if the lad that got powdered hadn't been a member he would have had no chance.

Unite also won 18 scaffs compen when Her*** finished us by using the Matrix rather than LIFO (last in first out) the result gave all the other scaff company's on the Nuclear site food for thought!!!

Unions aren't by no means perfect but they are the only thing that stops rouge company's shitting on the boys out of turn from a great height,
Get where your coming from mate ,,,but they let me down badly when i needed them!!!

Unions waste if time look how John Prescott licked his way to the top. Some member he turned out to be !!

I have no particular beef with Unions with the exeception of one particular UCATT rep in Nottingham who would only ever listen to his members side of the story first before causing a whole heap of crap with our other lads (I was with SGB at the time) upsetting the apple cart on sites etc, then send the formal grievance only to be shot down in flames without exception once the Employers side was put to the table...The guy was a first class tool!!:evil:

In regard to union vehicles with UCATT I would like to take part credit for getting them into Vans, when the Reps used to canvas our sites for members I used to gleefully point out to our lads that the Reps shiny new Mondeo (Or Whatever) was solely paid for out of their subs or potential subs which obviously wrangled the lads and after about a year...hey presto the were in vans :D I know its a bit sly and trivial...but hey...I wasnt wrong was I??

wizard i understand how you feel but the unions have fought my corner many times over the years,when the old UIE yard was on the go at clydebank they won us our case to be recognised as a trade alongside the welders,platers etc.i have also won a good claim after a major incident on an FPSO a couple of years back.
i would also like to point out that when you are not in employment you can get a break in payments,and still get the full support.thats obviously no good to you now though best of luck in the future bud

Is that parasite phrase aimed in my direction there or just a generalisation to people who work union sites but dont join unions .

not at all superscaff, but it was directed towards scaffolders in general who want to get on the blue book sites and the stations etc,which are all union agreements but then slate the same said unions and take everything that has been fought for and won by members

Get where your coming from mate ,,,but they let me down badly when i needed them!!!

Have me before as-well Pal, 60 guys walked from SSL (Salamis & SGB JV) for 6 weeks about 12 years ago, over the nominated site bonus which was £2.10 at the time SSL put us one £1.50 repair & maintaince bonus so we hit the gates after all the stages, picketed the Nuclear site for 6 weeks got £60 a week levy off the other union members, who were very sympathetic to the cause stopping to read our literature , banners and slowing all traffic in to the site etc.

we all got a message to attend a meeting on the Sunday out side the site and got told that the Union were withdrawing there support, (shutdown started the next day) so we all went back day later for £1.50 bonus, totally shafted.:mad:

But having said that they have done me 3 good turns since so, your better been a member, mainly for the insurance aspects their legal aid certainly beats the no win no fee mob, robbing your pot and also for the tribunal cases.;)

The only other organisation that is interested in the working man is the *****ng Inland Revenue.:sad:

Ive never really been in a situation/ job/ site where unions have been brought up in conversation to have been asked or told to choose between union or no union.
my only experiences of them are only what ive either read about, seen on tv or conversations with people, so my opinions are based solely on that, I think the unions do both a lot of good stuff, and bad damaging stuff to companies and industries, wouldnt say im for or against them

Top Bottom